2008年1月24日木曜日

Education

After listening to today’s presentations and reading what the new Minister of Education in the newspapers. Please read the opinion in the December 6th International Herald Tribune. http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/12/06/opinion/edkumiko.php Do you agree with the writer? Why? Give at least 3 examples to support your answer.

Yes, I think I agree with the writer. I hope I understood the article...

For this global world, using English is needed by many people and many situations. And people in the world already know about it.

We (Japanese people) live in an island which is named Japan, so I am pretty sure that is why some people do not care if they cannot speak English. Some people say “I don’t want to study English because I don’t need it, I will not get out from Japan, so I can still live here even I can’t speak English at all.” I know what the person means. Indeed, we can live without English in here.
We know that English is becoming one of international languages now, but I think many people thinking like “it is not our business”.

In Korea, they need TOEIC score at least 700 points when they do job hunting things. My Korean friend told me that they usually need that much high score because it is nearly always one of requirements to enter a company or so. Of course they have to study English, so they are studying English very hard at least more than Japanese people.
I think Japanese people do not have such like big motivation to study English.

The most of people or most of companies in Japan do not require us to speak English that much as long as we do not get any jobs which are obviously required to speak English. So there are not a lot of chances to use English in Japan. I think this situation is making us feel like “it’s ok if we couldn’t speak English” or something like that. And Japanese people do not have strong mind of “competition” I guess. Even if we couldn’t do something well most of people will think like “oh well…” that’s it. So, I feel that most of Japanese people just think “I wish I could speak English”, but they do not “do” something for the wish, they just wish something.

I think there are too many reasons why the writer thought like that... ;o(

2 件のコメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Smartphone, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://smartphone-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

匿名 さんのコメント...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.