2007年5月31日木曜日

Names and Addresses

1. Are feelings emotions and facial expressions universal across borders, happy, sad, etc..?
Yes they are, I think.
We might be able to understand all emotions from facial expressions because sometimes we have our own body language in our country. But when people are happy or sad we usually can see “oh the person is happy/ sad right now” from the person’s face, I think.

2. Try to name as many feelings as possible in Japanese. ( 10 minimum) Now write the English translation.
①嬉しい:ureshii (glad) 
②幸せ:shiawase (happy) 
③腹立つ:haratatsu (angry)
④ムカつく:mukatsuku (mad) 
⑤イライラする:iraira-suru (get irritated) 
⑥寂しい:sabishii (lonely) 
⑦悲しい:kanashii (sad) 
⑧落ち込む:ochikomu (feel down) 
⑨楽しい:tanoshii (fun) 
⑩おかしい:okashii (interesting/ funny) 
⑪うける:ukeru (funny) 

3. Are there any feelings in Japanese that cannot be translated into English?
Yes there are. For example, 萌えるmoeru. I don’t know how I can translate it into English. My friend who is studying Japanese asked the other friend who is Japanese “what does Moeru mean??” We were like “hmm...let see…” and my Japanese friend told him “you can’t learn the word from study, you have to feel!!” I laughed.
なつかしいnatsukashii、ないnai、引くhiku、さえないsaenai、やばいyabai、

2 件のコメント:

yellow dress さんのコメント...

"さえない" is often used among young people casually when there isn't any special happy thing in the daily life, but I think normal days are also good!! What do you think about the best translation of "さえない"?

nyaa さんのコメント...

Thanks for reading, yellow dress.
Yea, it's funny. Nowadays, we have a lot of kind of slang, and we use words which are opposite meaning to normal words as slang. I have no idea about that.. humm.. how about "unlucky"???